Come and take a look whats happening in the Parishes of St. Martins, Alfreton, St. James, Riddings and Christ Church, Ironville 

 

You are more than welcome to come and visit any of our events or join us in our Worship

St. Martins Alfreton

A large church away from the bustle of the town's main streets. Its origins go back to c1170 when it was in the gift of Beauchief Abbey (Sheffield). Nave, lean-to south aisle and tower are still mostly of C14 and C15. The very wide north aisle, however, was rebuilt in 1868 and is larger than the nave; the chancel was lengthened by 10 feet during 1899-1901. The chancel screen was erected in 1921 and the rood figures came from St Andrew's in Derby (demolished in 1968). The large organ, originally by the French builder, August Gern, was acquired from Dover College in 1952; it was totally rebuilt and redesigned by Henry Groves & Son in 1999.

St. James Riddings

The church, by Francis Bedford (1832), is attractively set amidst an important conservation area comprising the estate village built by local ironworks master, James Oakes. The chancel was extended in 1884 and the fine, wrought iron screen is by P H Currey (1906). The large 3-manual organ, recently rebuilt, has pipework going back to an early C19 instrument by Bevington.

Christ Church Ironville

The model village and its associated canal basin were built by the Butterley Iron Company, 1834-1860, as a failed project to create an inland harbour (killed, by the early advent of railways). The church itself was built in 1852 and is interesting, not only for its cruciform plan but also for its considerable constructional use of iron. The organ, of outstanding tonal quality, was built in 1876 by T C Lewis for a private house in London.